April 10, 2009

About Najla


I discovered belly dancing almost out of of boredom and quickly realized that this dance form had intrigued me for years. When I first went off to college I would hear the jingling of hip scarves in the student union at UT. I saw the information on taking classes but never had the nerve to go watch a show or take a class. To this day, I find it ironic that the very performances and classes that scared me off are the ones that I actively participate in and relish!

I found the courage to take a class many years after I first heard those coins on a hip scarf. I had just broken up with a boyfriend and had lots of time on my hands...which means I was off looking for something to do. I took the class instead of doing aerobics and fell in love with the music, costumes and music the very first time I saw my instructor Almaazah dance.

My first opportunity to perform was part of a student group though Informal Classes. As soon as I left the stage I realized that the number was way too short and there were too many other people on stage with me! I guess that was a sign I was ready to work on my first solo. It turns out it was just a year after my very first class that I stepped onto the stage by myself. It's been twelve years since that first performance, and I still feel the rush of joy and excitement every time I go on stage. And the boyfriend??? Well, let's just say he later regretted his decision, although I have never looked back.

I believe that this dance form is life changing, empowering and enchanting. I cannot imagine my life without this dance, the community I'm part of, and the wonderful women I've met along the way. I've had the opportunity to study with amazing dancers that keep me captivated and motivated. I'm blessed with the opportunity to express myself in a physically challenging and creative format and wear pretty costumes all at the same time! And, most importantly, I have the chance every week to pass my experiences onto other women who step into my classes, timid, shy, and a little scared (or excited) by what they will find.

This dance means the world to me and has taught me to appreciate and revere my body, my spirit and my soul. And, along the way there have been numerous shopping opportunities (yeah rhinestones!). Now what more could a girl ask for?


    No comments:

    Post a Comment